The four window shades are held together by small brackets–four of them near the top, and four near the bottom. A top was cut out of plywood and decorated with a thin piece of fancy molding. Then the whole table was painted brown (first). I was going for a distressed, or aged, look, so I used splotches of vaseline over the brown underpainting, then painted a layer of red, added more vaseline dabs, and finished with a coat of white. Once the paint dried, the vaseline was wiped off to reveal the “old” layers of paint.
The one drawback about this project was that I had to work in sub-freezing weather (even in the sun), so the vaseline technique didn’t work as well as it would in warmer weather. To fix the problem, I did a light wash over the entire project right at the end. I think it achieved the antiqued look I was going for.